Because the IATF has no legal status at its highest committee level, "legal entities" were established to manage operations, which are at the same time binding contractual partners of the certification associations (oversight offices).
Certification bodies interested in IATF 16949 approval must file an application with the oversight office located in the same trading area as their headquarters. The IATF then decides on approval according to the recommendation of the oversight office.
- VDA-QMC: Oversight Office, Germany (for VDA)
- IATF France: Oversight Office, France (for FIEV)
- IAOB: Oversight Office, USA (for AIAG)
- ANFIA: Oversight Office, Italy (ANFIA)
- SMMT: Oversight Office, United Kingdom (SMMT)